OctoberVET 2017 Calendar
OctoberVET is an annual season of VET research showcasing events. OctoberVET events are designed and driven by local Convenors supported by AVETRA. Events have already been announced for Victoria, NSW and Western Australia. More are in the pipeline and we will keep updating this calendar as events are confirmed. Events are free, but note that some require registration.
Victoria: Celebrating Applied Research and Innovation in TAFE
- Date: 20 October
- Venue: Holmesglen Conference Centre, Holmesglen Conference Centre, Cnr Warrigal and Batesford Roads, Chadstone
- Enquiries: Arnaldo Barone, email@example.com
Victoria : Training for Industry
- Date: 9 November
- Venue: Technology Park Central, Fed Uni SMB campus, Lydiard St, Ballarat.
- Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
NSW: The Changing Role of Educators Across Sectors
- Date: 26 October
Options to attend this event:
Online at https://webconf.det.nsw.edu.au/tmaOr face to face In Sydney at
Sydney School of Entrepreneurship,
Parquetry Hall, Building J,
651 – 731 Harris Street, Ultimo
- Enquiries: Anne Bowden, 0419 42 5555 or Anne.email@example.com
NSW: Educational Technologies and VET
- Date: 30 October
- Venue: Australian College of Applied Psychology, 255 Elizabeth Street, Sydney
- Enquiries: Sharon Aris, (02) 99646329 or Sharon.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/acapavetra-octobervet-tickets-37403830865
Western Australia: Focusing VET Research - What are the key issues that need illumination to make the system more effective?
- Date: 1 November
- Venue: Edith Cowan University, Mt Lawley Campus, Mount Lawley WA 6050
- Enquiries: Llandis Barratt-Pugh, email@example.com
OctoberVET 2017: Call for Conveners
This year’s national OctoberVET coordinators, Steven Hodge and Joe Pagnoccolo, would like to invite you to convene an OctoberVET event in your area.
OctoberVET is the name of a season of local events to share information and ideas about VET. OctoberVET complements AVETRA’s annual conference, and as the name suggests, it runs through October (with a few events usually spilling into November as well).
OctoberVET events range in size and scope, depending on local needs and interests, and range from convivial, small-scale gatherings to larger formal events with speakers. Events can be brief (a couple of hours) or can span a whole day. In 2015, OctoberVET events ran in most Australian states. In 2016 we hope to see OctoberVET events run throughout Australia and in other countries, too.
The success of OctoberVET always depends on the good-will and inventiveness of a local Convener (or group of Conveners) who are connected with local VET networks and identities and can find a focus and a space for their event.
AVETRA offers a small seed-grant for all OctoberVET events (which can be used for catering for example), and a national coordinator is on hand to discuss your ideas, and to provide advice and support. AVETRA also advertises OctoberVET events nationally to help draw attention to local events.
Last year’s themes will give you an idea of variety of interests gathered together under the OctoberVET banner:
- New South Wales: VET and University: Professional Learning and Teaching Exchange Forum
- New South Wales: Practitioner Research Under Analysis
- Western Australia: Striving for Excellence: ESL/LLN Skills Symposium
- Western Australia: Changing Learning and Organisations
- Queensland: A Quest for Research Capability
- Queensland: Making great learning and teaching practice happen through Participatory Action Research
- Queensland: AVETRA Breakfast – Recognising VET Contributions to Business and Industry
- South Australia: Using data to inform policy on education and training
- Victoria: Unearthing the Digital Landscape: Innovating Pedagogic Practice in VET
- Victoria: Architectures for apprenticeship: Achieving economic and social goals (an OctoberVET event in conjunction with the International Network on Innovative Apprenticeship Conference).
It’s time to start thinking about how to bring your local VET community together to share ideas and inspiration. Get in touch with Steven Hodge (firstname.lastname@example.org or 0421224474) or Joe Pagnoccolo (email@example.com) to discuss your ideas and find out how to get the OctoberVET ball rolling.